Well folks, this double vision’s got the best of the Grammar Cop! She was off ‘sick’ during the past week, so instead of grammar goofs, here is…
…a quiz from several years ago. Give it a go!
Choose the correct answer to fill in each blank line. (No, you can’t type on here! Find a napkin and a pen! 😀 ) There are 30 answers in all, each worth one point, so scoring will be out of 30. (Correct answers are given at the end. Don’t peek! 😉 )
- She ____ her flashlight so she could see better. (shined, shone)
- The bear stood on ____ (it’s, its) hind legs and roared so loudly that the girl dropped her flashlight.
- They read in ____ (they’re, their, there) camping manual that ____ (bare, bear) meat doesn’t taste ____ (too, to, two) good.
- The ____ (rein, rain, reign) had a bad (affect, effect) on their camping plans.
- They should ____ (of, have) stayed home and played Scrabble instead.
- Next time they should ____ (sew, sow, so) their tent flap more tightly so the bear wouldn’t ____ (tear, tare) it ____ (of, off).
- Sometimes the manual gave good ____ (advise, advice).
- One good thing it ____ (adviced, advised, advized) was to check your car’s ____ (breaks, brakes) before your trip.
- For sure ____ (its, it’s) going to be a very long time before the next camping trip!
- The family decided that they ____ (loath, loathe) camping.
- They still didn’t ____ (breath, breathe) easily when thinking about the bear!
- Next time they’ll give themselves free ____ (rain, rein, reign) to ____ (chose, choose) a better vacation.
- It would help if they didn’t ____ (lose, loose) their mind over every little noise.
- They should also pick a better area; there are huge ____ (swathes, swaths) of land where there are no bears!
- Many such places are discussed in social ____ (mediums, medias, media).
- ____ (Its, It’s) a sure bet that ____ (their, they’re, there) next trip will be more fun!
- Maybe it’ll even cost less ____ (then, than) what they ____ (paid, payed) this year.
- Maybe they’ll go way up north to see the Aurora Borealis ____ (phenomena, phenomenon).
- Perhaps they’ll sing songs again like they ____ (sung, sang) last time.
- If they ____ (infer, imply) from the overcast skies that it looks like rain, for sure they’ll stay home; they’ll certainly suffer ____ (fewer, less) bug bites.
ANSWERS: Scroll down. Scroll waaayyyyyy down!
- their; bear; too
- rain; effect
- sew; tear; off
- advised; brakes
- rein; choose
- It’s; their
- than; paid
- infer; fewer
Scoring out of 30:
26 – 30: Congrats! You’ve really been paying attention! Pat yourself on the back!
22 – 25: Not too shabby! Keep on reading these FF columns! You’re getting there!
16 – 21: Fair-to-good. Keep on reading FF!
15 or less: Oh noooo! Immediate repair is needed! You should go back and read all 141 previous Friday Follies columns (again). 😁 And next time you’ll do much better!
Questions? Concerns? Leave a comment!