Let’s see how much you’ve been paying attention to Friday Follies – Making Grammar Great Again, One Hyphen at a Time. 😃
Choose the correct answer to fill in each blank line. (No, you can’t type on here! Find a napkin and a pen!) There are 21 answers in all, each worth one point, so scoring will be out of 21. (Correct answers are given at the end. Don’t peek! 😉)
- Mom gave us free ______ (reign, rein, rain) when we made our Halloween costumes.
- We had to go to ______ (too, two, to) stores in order _____ (too, two, to) find what we needed for our costumes.
- We didn’t _____ (lose, loose) any time in deciding on our costumes.
- We went trick-or-treating with _____ (hoards, hordes) of other kids.
- We took our mom’s _____ (advise, advice) and painted on our masks instead of wearing ones that _____ (affected, effected) our vision.
- When we _____ (choose, chose) our costumes, we got to _____ (chose, choose) our makeup too.
- The dog wore _____ (it’s, its) clown costume with good humour.
- Social media _____ (were, was, we’re) full of stories on Halloween.
- Adults who greeted us tried to _____ (infer, imply) what we were dressed up as.
- It was hard to _____ (breath, breathe) with his Halloween mask on.
- _____ (There, their, they’re) costumes were adorned with pom-poms and ribbons.
- If we had known any Halloween songs, we would _____ (of, have) _____ (sang, sung) them.
- I _____ (loathe, loath) getting apples in my Halloween loot bag.
- There were large _____ (swathes, swaths) of every block where the houses had no lights on.
- It’s a _____ (priveledge, privalege, privilege, priviledge, privilidge) for kids to get candy for Halloween.
- He was _____ (incredible, incredulous) when he was told he had to stay home on Halloween because he had a bad cold.
- The kid _____ (who’s, whose) costume looked like Superman was taller than my dad!
ANSWERS: Scroll down. Scroll waaayyyyyy down!
- two, to
- advice, affected
- chose, choose
- have, sung
19-21 correct: Congrats! You’ve been paying attention! Pat yourself on the back!
16-18 correct: Not too shabby! Keep on reading FFs columns! You’re getting there!
12-15 correct: Sort of kind of maybe fair-to-good. 😀 Keep on reading FFs!
11 or less correct: Oh noooo! Immediate repair is needed! You should go back and read all 205 previous Friday Follies columns. And next time you’ll do much better!