The Grammar Cop offers you a fun mid-season challenge. Enjoy! 😁
Choose the right word from these often-confused pairs. Answers at the end. Don’t peek! And no Googling!
- I (definately, definitely) agree with him: Six o’clock in the morning is far too early for a plane trip.
- If I (lose, loose) my keys again, my spouse is going to laugh, or roll his eyes, or both.
- She had free (reign, rein) on the project to do whatever the heck she wanted.
- I need your (advice, advise) – should I wear the red lipstick or the blue, or beige, or…
- My hand was stuck in the bubble-gum machine as if in a (vice, vise)… serves me right for trying to get free gumballs out.
- He texted, (Congradulations, Congratulations) on winning the spelling bee!
- I pay for myself because I am an (independant, independent) woman.
- She had trouble changing the channel with her remote because (it’s, its) batteries were almost dead. They were, in fact, ex-batteries.
- The rain had an (effect, affect) on the car’s stopping distance; that is, it wouldn’t stop at all!
- When he (lead, led) the session, the students all felt like leaving, as he was so boring.
Scoring: Give yourself one point for each correct answer.
10 – GENIUS
8-9 – GREAT
6-7 – FAIR
4-5 – NOT SO HOT
3 or less – WAY LESS THAN HOT