The Grammar Cop never rests. She has rustled up a bunch o’ beastly boo-boos just for you loyal FF followers!
- “The performances by the three leads are terrific, as they flawlessly shift those emotions from civility to humour to anger when they try to deal with how this nuclear disaster has paid a heavy price on the three.”
- “Free after Sale Home Service For Seniors”
- “Villeray welcomes a new real estate development project.”
- Sigh. Where to start. First of all: “those” emotions? I’ll let it pass since there is a reference (however fleeting) in the previous sentence to “emotional baggage.” Next: is “civility” really an emotion? To me it’s more of a behaviour. One behaves civilly (i.e., politely). But politeness is not an emotion. Also: “humour” is not an emotion. Emotions are feelings we have, such as anger, sadness, happiness, etc. We don’t feel “humour.” Furthermore: “disaster has paid a heavy price on” is wrong. Disaster doesn’t “pay a price on” someone. It exacts a price from someone. (It’s the people who paid the heavy price, not the disaster.) So the rewritten sentence could look something like this: The performances by the three leads are terrific, as they flawlessly shift from civility to humour to anger when trying to deal with the heavy price they paid due to the nuclear disaster. Note the omission of any reference to “emotions”; the accent is on the “performances.”
- Here we have a case of hyphen-o-phobia as well as some random capitalization. Booo hiss on all of that! The corrected version would be: Free after-sale home service for seniors.
- Hyphen-o-phobia again – two of them are needed: Villeray welcomes a new real-estate-development project. Why? Because real-estate-development is an adjectival phrase modifying the noun “project.”
The Grammar Cop will now try to take advantage of some deals on this Black Friday. (Even though our Canadian Thanksgiving already took place in October, we have imported this U.S. shopping extravaganza.) I wish more people would go and pick up some hyphens, on sale now! 😁