Hey, Friday Follyites! Are you ready for this week’s foul flubs, as gathered by the Grammar Cop?
- “With Facebook and Instagrams new algorithm’s your posts can be harming your post placements and eventually they will not be seen.”
- “If it happened there, it can truly happen anywhere. And it is.”
- “real estate project” … “mixed use project” … “real estate development”
- Ugh. The corrected and improved sentence is as follows: With Facebook’s and Instagram’s new algorithms, your posts’ wording can be harming their placement, and eventually they will not be seen. Why do both Facebook and Instagram need ‘s? Because both Facebook and Instagram are the possessors of new algorithms. The ‘s shows possession. We add a comma after algorithms to make the sentence more readable. We say your posts’ wording can be harming their placement rather than your posts can be harming your post placements because the meaning is clearer, and avoids the awful repetition of post.
- Ugh again. This should say And it has. Don’t know why? See me after class!
- Rampant hyphen-o-phobia! Quick, the antidote: hyphens! Real-estate project. Mixed-use project. Real-estate development. Ahh. That’s better. 😁
These FF posts are taking more and more out of the Grammar Cop every week, yet she continues in her quest for proper prose. The challenges continue – on to the next!