As promised, FF followers, here is your midsummer Quiz, while the Grammar Cop puts her feet up and takes a well-earned holiday.
Choose the correct answer to fill in each blank line. (No, you can’t type on here! Find a napkin and a pen! 😀 ) There are 30 answers in all, each worth one point, so scoring will be out of 30. (Correct answers are given at the end. Don’t peek! 😉 )
- She ____ her flashlight so she could see better. (shined, shone)
- The bear stood on ____ (it’s, its) hind legs and roared so loudly that the girl dropped her flashlight.
- They read in ____ (they’re, their, there) camping manual that ____ (bare, bear) meat doesn’t taste ____ (too, to, two) good.
- The ____ (rein, rain, reign) had a bad (affect, effect) on their camping plans.
- They should ____ (of, have) stayed home and played Scrabble instead.
- Next time they should ____ (sew, sow, so) their tent flap more tightly so the bear wouldn’t ____ (tear, tare) it ____ (of, off).
- Sometimes the manual gave good ____ (advise, advice).
- One good thing it ____ (adviced, advised, advized) was to check your car’s ____ (breaks, brakes) before your trip.
- For sure ____ (its, it’s) going to be a very long time before the next camping trip!
- The family decided that they ____ (loath, loathe) camping.
- They still didn’t ____ (breath, breathe) easily when thinking about the bear!
- Next time they’ll give themselves free ____ (rain, rein, reign) to ____ (chose, choose) a better vacation.
- It would help if they didn’t ____ (lose, loose) their mind over every little noise.
- They should also pick a better area; there are huge ____ (swathes, swaths) of land where there are no bears!
- Many such places are discussed in social ____ (mediums, medias, media).
- ____ (Its, It’s) a sure bet that ____ (their, they’re, there) next trip will be more fun!
- Maybe it’ll even cost less ____ (then, than) what they ____ (paid, payed) this year.
- Maybe they’ll go way up north to see the Aurora Borealis ____ (phenomena, phenomenon).
- Perhaps they’ll sing songs again like they ____ (sung, sang) last time.
- If they ____ (infer, imply) from the overcast skies that it looks like rain, for sure they’ll stay home; they’ll certainly suffer ____ (fewer, less) bug bites.
ANSWERS: Scroll down. Scroll waaayyyyyy down!
- their; bear; too
- rain; effect
- sew; tear; off
- advised; brakes
- rein; choose
- It’s; their
- than; paid
- infer; fewer
Scoring out of 30:
26 – 30: Congrats! You’ve really been paying attention! Pat yourself on the back!
22 – 25: Not too shabby! Keep on reading these FF columns! You’re getting there!
16 – 21: Fair-to-good. Keep on reading FF!
15 or less: Oh noooo! Immediate repair is needed! You should go back and read all 141 previous Friday Follies columns (again). 😁 And next time you’ll do much better!
Questions? Concerns? Leave a comment!