Oh noooo!!!! I almost forgot Friday Follies!! I thought tomorrow was Friday! Ay yi yi! That’s what a little travel does for the Grammar Cop, I guess! (Just back a few days from NY!) But she has a few doozies for you, yes she does!
- THE SUBURBAN (advertorial): “She loves her family and has grown a thriving company with stayability, which is why…”
- CBC.CA: “They are what is called civic nationalists. There is growingly, at least in the United Stares, a divide between…”
- THE SUBURBAN (editorial!) “We would like to take this space today to address a few thoughts about life to the graduates of 2016.”
- You know what I can’t stand? Made-up words. I don’t know, I just have no tolerance for them. “Stayability” is one of those. We have a perfectly good phrase, staying power, we can use. Please.
- Yet another one. “Growingly”? Seriously? NO. Again there is a perfectly good word available: increasingly. Let’s use it!
- As I’ve said before, the Grammar Cop tends to let typos slide by, since we all make them sometimes. But this is just ridiculous. “2016” was last year. (Proofreader, where are youuu? Mind you, I thought Friday was tomorrow, so… [Insert eye roll emoji])
The Grammar Cop will slink off to bed now, secure in the knowledge that she has done her duty for the day. Rest assured that the offending errors are now jailed at the bottom of her wastebasket, where they belong. See you July 28th! Friday Follies is taking a vacation. Have a great couple of weeks! 🙂